i. (a) Name Ayotunde Allen OMITOGUN
(b) Date of Birth: 20 April 1954
(c) Department: Geology
(d) Faculty: Science
II. (a) First Academic Appointment: Senior Lecturer (January 2010)
(b) Present Post: Senior Lecturer
(c) Date Last Promoted: Not Applicable
(d) Date Last Considered: Not Applicable
III. UNIVERSITY EDUCATION (WITH DATES)
(a) University of Ilorin, Nigeria (1978-1982)
(b) University of Ilorin, Nigeria (1983-1986)
(c) Université Pierre et Marie Curie [Université Paris VI], France (1987-1988)
(d) Université Paul Sabatier [Université de Toulouse III], France (1986-1991)
IV. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS (WITH DATES AND GRANTING BODIES)
(a) B. Sc. Hons. Geology. University of Ilorin, Nigeria (1982)
(b) M. Sc. Geology. University of Ilorin, Nigeria (1986)
(c) D.E.S.S. Remote Sensing. Université Pierre et Marie Curie [Université Paris VI], France (1988)
(d) Ph.D. Structural Geology. Université Paul Sabatier [Université de Toulouse III], France (1991)
V. PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND DIPLOMAS
(a) Certificate in Advanced Image Interpretation/System Maintenance, GDTA (Groupement pour le Dévelopement de la Télédétection Aérospatiale), Toulouse France 28 October- 31 November, 1992
(b) Diplome de Langue Francaise (December, 2001). A French proficiency Diploma issued by ALLIANCE FRANCAISE, Nigeria.
(m) Diploma in Principles and Applications of Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems (GIS); International Institute for Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC), Enschede, The Netherlands (Dec,2005).
VI. SCHOLARSHIPS, FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
(a) One year French government scholarship of intensive proficiency course in French language at the C.E.R.A.V.U.M and the Faculté de Phamacie in Montpellier, France (1984-1985).
(b) One-year French government scholarship of intensive studies in remote sensing at the Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris VI) and the GDTA (Groupement pour le Dévelopement de la Télédétection Aérospatiale), Université de Toulouse, France (1987-88).
(c) French government scholarship for Doctorate studies in Structural geology at the Université des Sciences at Techniques (Université de Toulouse III), Toulouse Cx, France (1986-91).
(d) Federal Surveys Department under the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing, Lagos Nigeria. Merit Award in a conference at the Federal School of Surveying, Oyo (1994).
VII. HONOURS, DISTINCTION AND MEMBERSHIP OF LEARNED SOCIETIES
(a) Member, Nigerian Mining and Geosciences Society (NMGS)
(b) Member, The Nigerian Society of Remote Sensing
(c) Member, Societé Géologique de France
VIII. DETAILS OF TEACHING EXPERIENCE AT UNIVERSITY LEVEL
(a) Geology Department, University of Jos (Geology and Remote sensing courses)
(b) Regional Centre for Training in Aerospace Surveys (RECTAS), OAU Campus, Ile-Ife (Geoinformation courses and their applications in Geology).
(c) Teaching at the Department of Geology, University of Ibadan.2010 – till date.
Participated in the teaching of the following Undergraduate courses:
GEY 201: Physical Geology 2 Units
GEY 222: Introduction to Petrology 3 Units
GEY 234: Mineral Resources 2 Units
GEY 375: Photogeology and Remote sensing 2 Units
GEY 376: Structural geology and Photogeology 3 Units
GEY 384: Geological Field Mapping 2 Units
GEY 476: Advanced Global Tectonics and Structures 2 Units
GEY 484: Field Geology of Nigeria 2 Units
GEY 486: Seminar in Geology (Supervision) 2 Units
GEY 488: Research Projects in Geology (Supervision) 6 Units
Undergraduate Students Supervised since 2011: 6
Undergraduate Students under Supervision 4
Participated in the teaching of the following Postgraduate courses:
GEY 723: Advanced Structural geology 2 Units
GEY 724: Photogeology and Remote sensing 2 Units
GEY 780: postgraduate Seminar in Geology (Supervision) 2 Units
GEY 782: Research Projects in Geology (Supervision) 6 Units
Postgraduate Students Supervised since 2011: 6
Undergraduate Students under Supervision 4
Research Student / Ph.D Supervision
Under Supervision 1
Administrative Responsibilities within the Department
(a) Member, Departmental Finance Committee
(b) Member, Departmental Consultancy Committee
(c) Member, Departmental Postgraduate and Research Committee
(d) Member, Departmental Fieldwork / Industrial Training Committee
(e) Member, Departmental A and P Panel Committee for Academic Staff
Other Working / Profeessional Experience
(a) 1981-82: Research Assistant, Department of Geology and Mineral Sciences, University of Ilorin, Nigeria.
(b) 1982-1983: Graduate Assistant, Department of Geology and Mineral Sciences, University of Ilorin, Nigeria, engaged in: Teaching and supervision of undergraduate students including Geological field work exercises
(c) 1991-1992: Lecturer I at the Department of Geology and Mining, University of Jos, Nigeria. Involved in teaching (geology and applied geologic remote sensing) and researching.
(d) 1992-2006: Senior Lecturer at RECTAS, Obafemi Awolowo University Campus, Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
(e) 1998 - 2001: Head of Remote Sensing and GIS Application Unit of RECTAS, Ile-Ife.
(f) 1998- 2009: Associate Lecturer in Applied remote sensing at the Department of Geology and Applied Geophysics and the Department of Geography at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
(g) 1998- 2009: Resource Lecturer in Digital Image Interpretation and Analyses at ARCSSTE.E (African Regional Centre for Space Science and Technology Education - English), Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
(h) 2001 - 2002: Coordinator of M.Sc. and short training programmes at RECTAS, Ile-Ife.
(i) 2006 – 2009: Principal Lecturer and Head of Academic & Research Division at RECTAS, Ile-Ife.
(i) Consultancy (including supervision of bore hole drilling and sampling of coastal deltaic sediments for pollutant analysis, mapping of minor geologic features, etc)
(ii) Training in and teaching remote sensing applications (in English and French languages) to international and Nigerian trainees.
(iii) Supervision of trainees in remote sensing application research projects e.g. land form/land-cover/land-use of Ede-Ife-Ilesa-Effon Alaye area of SW Nigeria and also in Niger, and Benin Republics.
(iv) Consultancy: Various remote sensing applications (e.g. land-cover/land use in the Eket Mobil Qua Iboe Oil Terminal area in Akwa-Ibom State, S.E. Nigeria, etc.)
(v) Sustainable Ibadan Project (S.I.P): Mapping of Ibadan township and environs aided by remote sensing/GIS technique. Funded by the United Nations Habitat Programme.
The main areas of research include:
a) Geology (pure and applied): Structural geology, metamorphism, classical & applied geological-mapping, basin analysis, ground water & mineral exploration.
b) Geo-information: Thematic applications (geological, environmental, land-form, land-cover / land-use mapping, etc)
(a) Research Completed
1. Geological mapping of Part of N.E. Kabba (Nigeria).
2. A geological and geophysical survey of the proposed dam site on the University of Ilorin Main campus.
3. Etude Géologique par Télédétection du granite d’Igarra et son encaissant (Nigéria).
(b) Research in Progress
1. Structural Disposition of the Falafonmu – Iganran Clay Deposits in Ijebu-Ode North, Ogun State, Nigeria.
2. Influence of Aquifer Material Composition on Water Quality In Part of SW Nigeria: A GIS Approach
1. Métamorphisme et structure de la zone mobile pan-africaine centrale du Nigéria (“Schist belt” d’Igarra). PhD Thesis Université Paul Sabatier (Université de Toulouse III), Toulouse Cedex, France. 1991, 297 pp.
(a) Books already published: Nil
(b) Chapters in Books already published: Nil
(c) Articles that have already appeared in Refereed Conference Proceedings
1. Omitogun A.A., R. Caby, P. Debat, A. Mercier (1990). Characteristics of Pan African metamorphism in the Igarra Schist Belt and the associated basement rocks (Nigeria). In: Proceedings 15th Colloquium on African Geology 10 – 13 September, 1990. Nancy, France. pp 280-282 (France). % Contribution = 50%.
2. Ferré, E.C. J.L. Bouchez, G., Kozminski and A.A. Omitogun (1996). SLAR interpretation for Structural Mapping in the Basement of Northern Nigeria. Proceedings 11th Thematic Conference and Workshop of the Applied Geologic Remote Sensing; practical solutions for real world problems, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. 27-29 February, 1996. 11: I.573-I.582 (USA); % Contribution = 30%.
3. Van der Meer, F.B.W., O. Nielsen, A.A. Omitogun, and T. Alabi. 2002. GPS-based transect walks for quantifying Imperata cylindrica in East Nigeria. Proceedings 4th International Conference on Geoinformation for Sustainable Development in Africa, 14–18 October 2002, Abuja; pp 1-4 (Nigeria). % Contribution = 25%.
4. Omitogun, A.A. and Debat, P (2002) Remote sensing applications to structural geological mapping of a part of the SW Basement complex, Nigeria. Proceedings 4th International Conference on Geoinformation for sustainable development in Africa,14-18 October 2002 Abuja, Nigeria pp1-7 (Nigeria) % Contribution =70%
5. Okunlola, O.A. and Omitogun A.A. (2014). Inventory and Environmental Effects of active and abandoned artisanal mining sites of rare metals and gold mineralization in parts of SW-Nigeria. proceedings of the Closing Workshop of IGCP/SIDA Projects 594 and 606, Prague Czech Republic, May 26-28, 2014 p. 155 - 161 (Czech Rep.), % Contribution = 50%.
(c) Patents: Nil
(d) Articles that have already appeared in learned journals
6. Omitogun A.A., R. Caby, P. Debat, A. Mercier. (1991). Le metamorphisme pan africian de la partie centrale de la zone mobile du Nigeria (“schist belt” d’Igarra s.I) C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris, t. 313, Serie II, pp.1417-1423. (50%)
7. Bassey, N.E., S.S. Dada and A.A. Omitogun (2006): Preliminary structural study of satellite imagery over basement rocks of northeast Nigeria and northern Cameroon. Journal of Mining and Geology Vol. 42(1) 2006: 73-77 (45%)
8. Idornigie, A.I., M.O. Olorunfemi, and A.A. Omitogun (2006). Electrical Resistivity Determination of Subsurface layers, Subsoil competence and Soil Corrosivity at an Engineering Site location in Akungba-Akoko, Southwestern Nigeria. Ife Journal of Science Vol. 8 (2) 2006: pp. 159-177. (45%)
9. Idornigie, A.I., M.O. Olorunfemi, and A.A. Omitogun (2006). Integration of Remotely Sensed and Geophysical Data Sets in Engineering Site Characterization in a Basement Complex Area of Southwestern Nigeria. Journal of Applied Science Research, 2(9): 541-552, 2006. (45%)
10. Mbaye, M. and Omitogun, A. A. (2006). Application of NigeriaSat-1 Data for Fire Scar Mapping of Bauchi area, N.E. Nigeria. Ife Social Sciences Review Vol. 20. No.1, 2006 (90%. Corresponding author)
11. Idornigie, A. I., Omitogun, A. A., Olorunfemi, M. O.(2008)Regional geological mapping of a typical basement terrain and using digitally enhanced Landsat-7 ETM+ image data. Africa Geoscience Review. Volume 15 Number 4 (75%)
12. Adebisi,N.O., A.A. Omitogun and A,A, Koya (2014).Spatial Scheme for Groundwater Flow and Physical Properties Distribution in Ilaro, Southwestern Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Technology, Vol. 33 No. 2. April 2014.
(e) Articles already accepted for publication
13.Omitogun A.A., Banjo I.O. and Adeyemi G.O. (2014). Geological Appraisal of the Kaolinitic Sandstone at Odo-Lewu, Ijebu-Ode - Epe Road, SW-Nigeria. Paper aIn press; Journal of Mining and Geology. (Nigreria). % Contribution 50%.
XI. MAJOR CONFERENCES ATTENDED
1) “First African Workshop on Remote Sensing Applications” (14-19 April, 2000) at the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
2) “Workshop on Application of Satellite Data for Resource and Disaster Management” 24-29 September, 2001; Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
3) 5th Session of the Committee on Development Information (CODI-V), 29th April to 5th May 2007, at the Headquarters of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), Addis-Ababa - Ethiopia.
4) UN-SPIDER Workshop on disaster monitoring. 13th – 15th July 2009 at Lome, Togo
5) Nigerian Association of Hydro-geologist (NAH) Mini Summit which took place at Nana Country Hotel, Jos Plateau State; September 9th – 12th, 2009.
6) 47th Annual International Conference of the Nigerian Mining and Geosciences Society, 6th – 11th March 2011 at Hydro Hotel, Minna, Nigeria.
7) 49th Annual International Conference of the Nigerian Mining and Geosciences Society, 17th – 22nd March 2013 at the University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
Dr. A.A. Omitogun February, 2015