History : Department of Geology
The Department of Geology was established in 1959 as a sub-department attached to the Department of Geography. It subsequently developed into an independent Department and has expanded to a major teaching and research Department in the faculty of science. The Department also undertakes various consultancy projects in the applied Earth Sciences.
Undergraduate courses offered in the Department are run at the 100, 200, 300, and 400 levels, which correspond to the first, second, third, and fourth years of the first degree B.Sc (Geology) programme. The Department provides a range of postgraduate courses, particularly in the specialized areas of Earth Sciences, at the 700 and 800 levels.
The advanced courses at the 800 levels are taken by research students (above the M.Sc. programmes). Beside the M.Sc. (Geology) and M.Sc. Mineral Exploration) programmes, research facilities are available for studies leading to the M.Phil and PhD degrees in Geology.
Geology being the bedrock of all earth related subjects has served to provide basic foundation in the understanding of the earth and its constituents not only to students of geology but also to students and scholars of other disciplines that study or interact with the earth in the following areas: Chemistry, Archaeology, Agronomy, Botany, Zoology, Civil Engineering and Petroleum Engineering.
We have taught thousands of students from these various Departments over the years. About four thousand (4,000) students have been graduated from this Department from 1963 to date.