1. In vivo cytogenetics, biochemical and histopathological effects of leachates from 2 municipal landfills in Ibadan and Lagos state. The potential human health effects of exposure to chemical substances from landfill sites as well as mechanism of leachate induced-genetic damage in vitro and in vivo are also being investigated.
2. The potential genotoxic, antigenotoxic and anticarcinogenic activities of extracts of medicinal herbs’ having anti-malarial and anti-cancer properties.
3. Genetic variation of cytokines and their roles in the clinical severity of malaria in children in Ibadan, South-west Nigeria. This is in collaboration with Dr. Olukemi Amodu of Institute of Child Health, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria. We are benefiting from laboratory support of the Department of Immunology, Stockholm University, Sweden and UK MRC, The Gambia.
4. In vivo genotoxic and health effects of exposure to waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) from E-wastes markets and dump sites in Lagos, Nigeria. The organic and Molecular toxicologic analysis of the E waste samples is being done in collaboration with Prof. Xia Huo of the Department of Analytical Cytology, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou, China. This is with the support of Academy of Science for the Third World (TWAS, Italy) Fellowship for Research and advance training.
5. Human Population genetics study on genetics of taste of the Nigerian population using PTC, Sodium benzoate and Thiourea taste strips, sex ratio and twinning incidence in South-West Nigeria using modern statistical and GIS tools.
6. Molecular mechanisms underlying apoptosis induction and cell cycle modulation by Isothiocyanates (ITCs) in transformed (cancer) and non-transformed liver cells. In addition serum deprivation induced apoptosis and DMSO differentiation of HepG2 cells vis a vis the influence of ITCs on these phenomenon is also being investigated. This is with the support of Alexander von Humboldt (AVH) foundation George Forster Fellowship for Experienced Researchers.
7. Karyological analysis of African catfish (Clarias sp.) and the African giant snail Archachatina marginata and Achatina sp. from southwestern Nigeria
- Bakare, A.A., and E.B. Gueguim Kana (2000) Intelligence and Race: A critical examination. Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology, 7(3): 2562 – 2571.
- Bakare, A.A., A.A. Mosuro and O. Osibanjo (2000) Effect of simulated leachate on chromosomes and mitosis in roots of Allium cepa (L). Journal of Environmental Biology, 21(3): 263 –271. (http://www.jeb.co.in).
- Bakare, A.A. (2001) The potential mutagenic effect of the leachates of rural solid waste landfill on Allium cepa (L). SINET: Ethiopian Journal of Science, 24(2): 283 – 291. Read pdf
- Fagbuaro, O., A.A. Mosuro, A.A. Bakare and A.B. Odaibo (2002) Cytological studies of Archachatina marginata and Achatina sp. from southwestern Nigeria. Tropical Veterinarian, 20(2): 74– 79. Read pdf
- Bakare, A.A., A.A. Mosuro and O. Osibanjo (2003) Landfill leachate-induced toxicity in mice. Journal of Environmental Biology, 24 (4): 429 - 435. (http://www.jeb.co.in).
- Bakare, A.A., A. Lateef , O.S. Amuda and R.O. Afolabi (2003) The aquatic toxicity and characterizationof Chemical and Microbiological constituents of Water samples from Oba River, Odo–Oba, Nigeria. Asian Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Environmental Science, 5(1): 11– 17.
- Oloyede, O.B., T.O. Sunmonu, O. Adeyemi and A.A. Bakare (2003) A biochemical assessment of the effect of polluted water from Asa river in rat kidney. Nigerian Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 18 (1): 25 – 33. (http://www.njbmb.org/index.htm).
- Oloyede, O.B., O. Adeyemi, T.O. Sunmonu, and A.A. Bakare (2003) The effect of polluted Oba water on selected rat liver enzymes. NISEB JOURNAL 3 (3): 91 – 97. (http://www.klobex.org/page2.html).
- Bakare, A.A. and A.R. Wale-Adeyemo (2004) The Potential Mutagenic and Cytotoxic effects of leachates from Domestic wastes and Aba-Eku landfill, Nigeria on Allium cepa. Nature Environment and Pollution Technology, 3 (4): 455 - 462. (http://www.neptjournal.com/journal.php).
- Yekeen, T.A., T. G. Okorie and A. A. Bakare (2004) Evaluation of the acute and sublethal effects of ethanolic extracts of Piper guineense in mice. Asian Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Environmental Science, 6(4): 513 – 519.
- Bakare, A.A., A.A. Mosuro and O. Osibanjo (2005) An in vivo evaluation of induction of abnormal sperm morphology in mice by landfill leachates.Mutation Research, 582(1- 2): 28 – 34. (doi:10.1016/j.mrgentox.2004.12.007).
- Babatunde, B.B. and A. A. Bakare (2006) Genotoxicity screening of wastewaters from Agbara Industrial estate, Nigeria evaluated with theAllium test. Pollution Research, 25(2): 227–234.
- Alimba, C. G., A. A. Bakare and C. A. Latunji (2006) Municipal landfill leachates induced chromosome aberrations in rat bone marrow cells. African Journal of Biotechnology, 5 (22): 2053 – 2057. (http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB/abstracts/abs2006/16Nov/Alimba%20et%...).
- Bakare, A.A., A.K. Pandey, M. Bajpayee, D. Bhargav, D.K. Chowdhuri, K.P. Singh, R. C. Murthy and A. Dhawan (2007) DNA damage induced in human peripheral blood lymphocytes by industrial solid waste and municipal sludge leachates. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis,48: 30 –37. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/em.20272/abstract).
- Yekeen, T. A., T. G. Okorie and Bakare, A. A. (2007) Acute and chronic toxicity of the synthetic pyrethroid deltamethrin in mice. Asian Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Environmental Science, 9(1): 11-17.
- Akinboro A. and A. A. Bakare (2007) Cytotoxic and genotoxic effects of aqueous extracts of five medicinal plants on Allium cepa Linn. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 112: 470–475. (doi:10.1016/j.jep.2007.04.014).
- Azeez M. A., A. Akinboro and A. A. Bakare (2007) Human sex ratio at birth in South West Nigeria. Indian Journal of Human Genetics 13 (2): 59 – 64. (http://www.ijhg.com/article.asp?issn=0971-6866;year=2007).
- Bakare, A.A., K.A. Oshodi and A.T. Adelodun (2007) Paracetamol and Caffeine induced sperm shape abnormalities in mice. African Journal of Animal and Biomedical Sciences, 2 (2): 11-16.(http://www.ajabs.net/index.php?q=Abstract&cid=27).
- Djouaka, R. F., A. A. Bakare, H. S. Bankole, J. M. C. Doannio, H. Kossou and M.C. Akogbeto (2007a) Quantification of the efficiency of treatment of Anopheles gambiae breeding sites with petroleum products by local communities in areas of insecticide resistance in the Republic of Benin.Malaria Journal, 6:56. (http://www.malariajournal.com/content/6/1/56).
- Djouaka, R. F., A. A. Bakare, H. S. Bankole, J. M. C. Doannio, O. N. Coulibaly, H. Kossou, M. Tamo, H. I. Basene, K.O.K. Popoola and M.C. Akogbeto (2007b) Does the spillage of petroleum products in Anophelesbreeding sites have an impact on the pyrethroid resistance? Malaria Journal, 6:159. (http://www.malariajournal.com/content/6/1/159).
- Olaniyan O. A., A. A. Bakare and O. A. Morenikeji (2007) Genetically modified food in Nigeria: A long lasting solution to hunger? Estudo de Biologia, 29(67):191-202. (http://www2.pucpr.br/reol/index.php/BS?dd1=2510&dd99=view).
- Akinboro A., M. A. Azeez and A. A. Bakare (2008) Frequency of twinning in Southwest Nigeria. Indian Journal of Human Genetics, 14 (2): 41 – 47.(http://www.ijhg.com/article.asp?issn=0971-6866;year=2008).
- Oshode, O. A., A. A. Bakare, A. O. Adeogun, M. O. Efuntoye and A. A. Sowunmi (2008) Ecotoxicological assessment using Clarias gariepinus and microbial characterization of leachate from a municipal solid waste landfill in South-west Nigeria. International Journal of Environmental Research,2(4): 391-400. (http://ijer.ut.ac.ir/images/Issues/Vol.2, %20No.4, %202008.html).
- Djouaka R. F., A. A. Bakare, O. N. Coulibaly, M. C. Akogbeto, H. Ranson, J. Hemingway, C. Strode (2008) Expression of the cytochrome P450s, CYP6P3 and CYP6M2 are significantly elevated in multiple pyrethroid resistant populations of Anopheles gambiae s.s. from Southern Benin and Nigeria. BMC Genomics 9(1):538. (http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/9/538).
- Oyedare M. B., A. A. Bakare and A. Akinboro (2009) Genotoxicity assessment of water extracts of Ocimum gratissimum, Morinda lucidaand Citrus medica using the Allium cepa assay. Boletín Latinoamericano y del Caribe de Plantas Medicinales y Aromáticas 8(2): 97- 103. (http://www.blacpma.usach.cl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id...).
- Bakare A. A., O. A.Alabi, O. A. Adetunji and H. B. Jenmi (2009) Genotoxicity assessment of a pharmaceutical effluent using four bioassays. Genetics and Molecular Biology, 32(2): 373-381. (http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_abstract&pid=S1415-4757200900...).
- Alimba C. G., A. A. Bakare and O. G. Arinola (2009) Effects of municipal solid waste leachate on leucocyte and differential counts in rats. Global Journal of Environmental Research, 3(3): 135-140. (http://idosi.org/gjer/gjer3%283%29.htm).
- Bakare A. A. (2009) Wastes: Toxicity and potential health hazards of leachates, In: Waste management: Research, Technology and Developments. Ed. James R. Lavelle. NOVA Science publishers, Inc. USA (ISBN: 978-1-60456-256-9). Pp.1-40. (https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_597&products_id=6791
- Bakare, A. A., J. O. Agbolade, O. A. Iyiola, C. A. Latunji and C. G. Alimba (2009) Distribution and frequency of Phenylthiocarbamide (PTC) taster and non taster alleles in the Nigerian population. The Zoologist 7: 176-183. (http://www.ajol.info/index.php/tzool/article/view/52068).
- Ajaiyeoba E., W. Sama, A. A. Bakare, R. Djouaka and M. Akogbeto (2009) Larvicidal properties of three plants on Anopheles gambiae. Journal of Pharmacy and Bioresources, 6 (2): 50-53. (http://www.ajol.info/index.php/jpb/article/view/63319). Read pdf
- Utulu, S., and Bakare, A. A. (2010) DNA damage induced in the germ and bone marrow cells of mice by caffeine. West African Journal of Pharmacology and Drug Research, 26: 1 – 7. (http://www.ajol.info/index.php/wajpdr/article/view/70054). Read pdf
- Olorunfemi, D.I., G. E. Okoloko, A. A. Bakare and A. Akinboro (2011) Cytotoxic and genotoxic effects of cassava effluents using the Allium cepa assay. Research Journal of Mutagenesis. 1(1): 1-9. (http://scialert.net/abstract/?doi=rjmutag.2011.1.9).
Akinbola T. I., A. Adeyemi, O. A. Morenikeji, A. A. Bakare and C. G. Alimba (2011) Hospital waste incinerator bottom ash leachate induced cyto-genotoxicity in Allium cepa and reproductive toxicity in mice. Toxicology and Industrial Health, 27(6): 505-514. DOI: 10.1177/0748233710391991. (http://tih.sagepub.com)
- Osibanjo O., I. C. Nnorom, A. A. Bakare and O. A. Alabi (2011) Environmental and public health consequences of adopting crude recovery techniques in E-waste management in developing countries: an emerging global crisis. In: Advances in Environmental Research,Vol. 17 Chapter 14. Ed. James A. Daniels, NOVA Science publishers, Inc. USA (ISBN: 978- 1-61209-965-1), 31pp. (https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_597&pro...)
- Bakare A. A., M.M. Ademeso, O.A. Adetunji, and O.A. Alabi (2011) Pharmaceutical effluent induced chromosome aberration in rat bone marrow cells. Archives of Applied Science Research, 3(2). 345-352. (http://scholarsresearchlibrary.com/archive.html).
- Alimba C. G., Saliu, J.K., Adesanya, A. and Bakare, A.A. (2011) Evaluation of genotoxicity of a municipal landfill leachate by micronucleus test using Clarias gariepinus. Research in Environment and Life Sciences, 4(1): 1-6. (http://rels.110mb.com/volumes/vol4no1.htm).
Alabi O. A. and Bakare, A. A. (2011) Genotoxicity and mutagenicity of electronic waste leachates using animal bioassays. Toxicological and Environmental Chemistry, 93 (5): 1073–1088. (URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02772248.2011.561949).
Ojo T. I., Adeogun A. O., Bakare A. A., Sowunmi A. A., Ugwumba A. A. A. and Ugwumba O. A. (2011) Karyotypic description of six species of Clarias (Siluriformes: Clariidae) from South West, Nigeria.International Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances 3(4) 364 – 373. (http://maxwellsci.com/jp/abstract.php?jid=IJAVA&no=131&abs=09).
- Bakare A. A., Patel, S., Pandey, A. K., Bajpayee, M., Parmar, D. and Dhawan, A. (2012) DNA and oxidative damage induced in organs and tissues of mouse by municipal sludge leachate. Toxicology and Industrial Health, (http://tih.sagepub.com/content/early/2011/10/18/0748233711420466).