OYEDIRAN, IBRAHIM ADEWUYI
B.Sc. (Ago-Iwoye), M.Sc., PhD (Ibadan).
Academic Title: Doctor
Academic Status: Senior Lecturer
Specialisation: Engineering Geology, Hydrogeology, Environmental Geology
Office: Room Number: A 105 Department of Geology
Contact: Tel: +234-8094718091; +234-8056153251
My research interest revolves around the field of Engineering Geology, Hydrogeology and Environmental Geology. The application of geologic knowledge to practical problems is the focus of the fields of engineering, hydro and environmental Geology. Engineering geology is the application of Geology and related disciplines to the understanding and solution of earthwork or geotechnical problems. Hydrogeology on the other hand deals with the assessment of groundwater systems with emphasis on the occurrence, distribution, hydraulic movement and chemistry/quality while Environmental Geology involves the protection of human health and safety through understanding geological processes. For example, it is critically important to understand the geology of areas where people propose to store nuclear waste products.
Currently, my research work includes the evaluation of locations for landfill site in the crystalline Basement complex and sedimentary terrains of Nigeria with particular emphasis on the application of geophysics for characterization of subsurface horizon and understanding the groundwater occurrence, application of geochemistry and mineralogy to characterize underlying soils and provide information on other properties that can prevent or promote contamination of groundwater by leachate from waste. Furthermore the geotechnical properties of waste soil from open dumping area including the reaction between leachates and soil types and the permeability characteristics of soils are being investigated.
Other areas of interest include foundation investigation for structures, soil improvement and stabilization, characterization of geomaterials for the understanding and solution of earthwork problems to achieve sustainable development. Furthermore the characterization of groundwater systems of the Basement Complex terrain is under investigation.
- Geotechnical evaluation of a site at Ajibode, Ibadan for landfill.
- Engineering Geological Evaluation and Geochemical assessment of some locations along Ibadan/Ile-Ife highway as landfill sites.
- Variability in the Geotechnical properties of some residual clay soils from Southwestern Nigeria.
- Influence of the activities of termites on the geotechnical properties of some lateritic soils.
- Engineering Geological Evaluation of residual Lateritic soils of southwestern Nigeria as construction materials.
- Permeability characteristics of some clay soils from both the Basement Complex
- and Sedimentary terrains of Nigeria.
- Studies of the environmental pollution from landfill site receiving wastes.
- Geotechnical and Geophysical applications to solving earthwork problems.
(b) In Progress
- Effects of various soil stabilizers on the geotechnical properties of lateritic soils used for construction.
- Effect of waste dump on the engineering properties of soil and underground water quality.
- Chemical and Mechanical Stabilisation of soils from both the Basement Complex and Sedimentary terrains of Nigeria.
- Characterization of geomaterials for engineering construction purposes.
- Reactions between leachates and possible clay containment types.
- Geotechnical properties of problem soils
- Failure of structures
- Strength characteristics of Soil Rock Mixtures
- Slope stability
(c) Dissertation and Thesis
- i. Oyediran, I.A. (2010): Geotechnical Evaluation of a site at Ajibode, Ibadan for Landfill. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Ibadan, 241p.
- ii. Oyediran, I. A. (2014): Soil – Rock Mixtures or Bimrocks? A Review. Post-Doctoral Fellowship Dissertation, Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 164p.
1. Oyediran, I.A. and Famakinwa, J.O. 2015. Geotechnical Basis for Building Instability and Failure: Case Study from Lagos, Nigeria. Engineering Geology for Society and Territory - Volume 5, 365-370. DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-09048-1_70.
2. Oyediran, I.A. and Aladejana, J.A. 2011. Assessment of the impact and safety status of remediation of Lead contaminated soil using excavation method: A case study of Olodo, Ibadan, southwestern Nigeria. In: O. Martins, E. A. Meshida, T. A. Arowolo, O. A. Idowu and G. O. Oluwasanya (Eds). Proceedings of the Environmental Management Conference, September 12-15, 2011, Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria. Vol. 2, 504-518.
3. Adeyemi, G.O. and Oyediran, I.A. 2005. Engineering geological evaluation of a proposed landfill site at Aba Kulodi, near Ibadan, Southwestern Nigeria. Global Journal of Geological Sciences, Vol. 3, No. 1, 25-33.
4. Oyediran, I.A., Adeyemi, G.O. and Oguntunase, E.O. 2008. Influence of termite activities on the geotechnical properties of some lateritic soils in parts of Akungba-Akoko, southwestern Nigeria. Mineral Wealth, No. 148, 17-24.
5. Oyediran, I.A. and Williams, T. 2010. Geotechnical properties of some Banded Gneiss derived lateritic soils from southwestern Nigeria. Journal of Science Research, Vol. 9, 62-68.
6. Oyediran, I.A. and Kalejaiye, M. 2011. Effect of increasing cement content on strength and compaction parameters of some lateritic soils from southwestern Nigeria. Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol.16, Bund K, 1501-1514.
7. Oyediran, I.A. and Durojaiye, H.F. 2011. Variability in the Geotechnical properties of some residual clay soils from Southwestern Nigeria. International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, Vol.2, Issue 9, 235-240.
8. Oyediran, I.A. and Adeyemi, G.O. 2011a. Geotechnical investigations of a site in Ajibode, Southwestern Nigeria for Landfill. Ozean Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol.4, No. 3, 265-279.
9. Oyediran, I.A. and Adeyemi, G.O. 2011b. Use of Geophysical methods in Landfill site investigation: A case study of Ibadan, Southwestern Nigeria. New York Science Journal, Vol. 4, No. 10, 1-10.
10. Oyediran, I.A. and Adeyemi, G.O. 2012. Geochemical Assessment of a Proposed Landfill in Ibadan, Southwestern Nigeria. Pacific Journal of Science and Technology, Vol.13, No.1, 640-651.
11. Oyediran, I.A. and Iroegbuchu, C.D. 2013. Geotechnical Characteristics of Some Southwestern Nigerian Clays as Barrier soils. Ife Journal of Science, Vol.15, No.1, 17-30.
12. Oyediran, I.A. and Okosun, J. 2013. An attempt to improve geotechnical properties of some highway lateritic soils with lime. RMZ – M&G, Vol. 60, No.4, 287–296.
13. Hu, R., Oyediran I.A., Gao, W., Zhang, X. and Li, L.H. 2014. ‘‘Plagioclase solution degree index’’: a new index to evaluate the weathering degree of granite. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, Vol. 73, No.2, 589-594. DOI 10.1007/s10064-013-0510-7.
14. Li, Z., Oyediran I.A., Tang, C., Hu, R. and Zhou, Y. 2014. FEM application to loess slope excavation and support: case study of Dong Loutian coal bunker, Shouzhou, China. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, Vol. 73, No.4, 1013-1023. DOI 10.1007/s10064-013-0564-6.
15. Gao, W., Hu, R. Oyediran I.A., Li, Z. and Zhang, X. 2014. Geomechanical Characterization of Zhangmu Soil-Rock Mixture Deposit. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 32:1329–1338. DOI 10.1007/s10706-014-9808-x
16. Xue, L., Qin, S., Li, P., Li, G., Oyediran I.A. and Pan, X. 2014. New quantitative displacement criteria for slope deformation process: From the onset of the accelerating creep to brittle rupture and final failure. Engineering Geology, 182:79-87
17. Ogunsanwo, O., Adeyemi, G.O., Tijani, M.N., Oyediran I.A. 2007. Assessment of some crystalline Basement Complex rocks of Southwestern Nigeria as raw materials for dimension stones.Technical Report to Nigeria Geological Survey Agency, 46p.
18. Okunlola, O.A. and Oyediran, I.A. 2008. Geological and economic appraisal of Crown Trust Quarry, Aboke Village along the Old Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Ibadan, Southwestern Nigeria. Technical Report to Chartered Investments Nigeria Limited, 15p.